The holidays have approached us and we are pressed for time, which makes it even harder to make healthy choices. Because fast food & junk food is much more available than a healthy option, many people give in to the temptation and eat poorly during these busy times, simply because it’s easier. While eating fast- food is never as healthy as a well-planned, balanced diet, you can easily take steps to improve the quality of your nutrition when on the run.
Here are some tips for healthy eating during the holidays:
- Make sure that you eat your fruits & vegetables for the day. The best part about them is that they are extremely portable, keep a couple pieces of fruit or sliced veggies when on the run.
- Before starting a day full of shopping and nonstop running around make it habit to eat a piece of fruit with oatmeal or low fat yogurt, to stay full longer.
- Seeking out deli-style fast-food chains where you can order a sandwich on whole wheat bread or a wrap. Also choosing mustard over mayo will save you on calories and fat.
- Stock your car with bottled water and healthy snacks such as fruit and a serving size of unsalted nuts, to stop those cravings before they hit.
- Consider a supermarket for your fast-food break. You can pick up precut and washed fresh fruit, vegetables, yogurt, or low fat cheeses. They will also offer salads, sushi, wraps and dozens of other healthy prepared items.
- If you do make your way to a fast food restaurant, opt for the newer and healthier options such as a side salad or fruit. Also remember that chicken isn’t always a healthy choice. Order grilled chicken, and skipping the bun is always a better option.