4 Medical Tests That Can Change Your Life
A recent article on featured on today.com discussed four preventative medical exams that could save your life. Often, many illnesses are found once symptoms present themselves which can be too late. These exams can help in preventing diseases or catch them in their early stages when they are more treatable.
In the four exams discussed in the article, Dr. David Sandmire, Professor of Biology at the University of New England and co-author of Medical Tests That Can Save Your Life (Rodale Books, 2004), lists bone density and coronary artery disease screening, two exams available with Atlantic Medical Imaging. To learn more about these exams offered click the titles below.
Consider these four tests to detect the early stages of disease:
- DEXA scan for bone density to test of osteoporosis.
- An estimated 10 million Americans have osteoporosis, a condition caused by decreased mineralization of the bone. Another 18 million are estimated to have low bone mass, or pre-osteoporosis.
- By the time you notice symptoms such as back pain, stooped posture or an easily fractured bones occur, you may already have full-blown osteoporosis. If early osteoporosis is detected, key lifestyle changes can slow down the progression of this disease.
- Genetic testing for breast and ovarian cancer.
- The BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes produce proteins that help repair DNA. Mutations in these genes have been found to increase the risk of breast and ovarian cancers.
- Since family history is one of the major risk factors for breast and ovarian cancer, Sandmire says a genetic test for BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations is highly recommended for someone with a family history of these diseases.
- Screening for coronary artery disease- Coronary CTA
- Coronary artery disease is the biggest killer in the United States.
- Risk factors include high blood pressure, high cholesterol, obesity, diabetes and a sedentary lifestyle. If an individual has several of these risk factors, a screening test could literally save their life.
- Blood glucose test for type 2 diabetes.
- Although type 2 diabetes has a strong genetic component, obesity and a sedentary lifestyle are controllable risk factors that make this disease ripe for a screening test.
- By requesting a blood glucose test, you can start making changes to your lifestyle such as exercising, losing weight if overweight and eating a nutritious diet before a pre-diabetic condition becomes full-blown type 2 diabetes.
To read the full article click HERE, and for more information on exams offered at Atlantic Medical Imaging please visit www.atlanticmedicalimaging.com/